Assumptions

"When you assume, you make an ass of you and me."

The first time I heard that I had no idea what the heck they were talking about it, and then someone who said it to me wrote it on a chalkboard and put marks between the letters like so: ass-u-me.

You know, that old adage has so much truth to it.

Don't make assumptions about people. Especially if you're going to admit that you made them...

Don't assume that because a person is a techie that they are male. Girls can be tech geeks too.

Don't assume because a woman is a mother that it is the only thing in her life. It's probably a HUGE part of who she is, but it's not necessarily the only part. She very likely has other interests and dreams that go along side being a mom. On the same note, don't assume that is always the case. Some women genuinely find being moms and wives their biggest goal in life. That is a worthwhile dream too. Don't assume that either one of these mothers is better than the other. They are probably equally good and loving mommies.

Don't assume that strong women can't love the color pink. Pam on True Blood put this best.

"I don't know what it is about me that makes people want to tell me their problems. Maybe I smile too much. Maybe I wear too much pink. But please remember I can rip your throat out if I need to.” – Pam, True Blood, Season 3

I could keep going, but these are the one's that are the ones on the top of my mind at the moment.

It all boils down to not assuming you know a darn thing about someone before you get to know them. Just let people be who they are. Don't label them or try to stick them into categories. You'll find that sometimes you're horribly wrong.

Comments

Katie J ♥ said…
Well said - Have a lovely weekend Miss Lesley!
Julia said…
So true. Words to live by for sure. It is easier to do by this as you (I) get older. I know when I was younger not so much.
Anonymous said…
What a great quote, I've never heard that one before. haha I am new here and am now following. Please feel free to pop by my site. I'd love a new follower.

http://losingoverhalfofme.blogspot.com/
I have to remind myself of that one all the time. I assume things about people all the time.

Hope things are going well in the Land of Snarky Pants.

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Thirteen #10

Contest!

Thursday Thirteen #9