Thyroid! Why didn't I get this tested before!!!

So I've always had weight problems. Since I was just a kid. I've been on every diet you can imagine. I was even put on diet pills by my family doctor when I was fifteen. And with diet pills I did lose weight.

I've also had symptoms of depression for most of my life. I'd say as far back as at least high school I can remember feeling depressed, but that kind of thing is usually written off in teens as just normal teenage angst.

Irritability...Well I think my husband can attest to the fact that I am at times quite easily angered.

My hands are almost always cold. I've gotten so used to it that I get surprised when people comment on my cold hands. And I almost always feel cold. Other people can be sweating and I'll want to curl up under a warm blanket.

I charted my basal body temperature when I was trying to get pregnant with Nicky. My basal body temperature falls around 96.8 to 97.4. That's a lot lower than most peoples.

I miscarried our first baby and had to have my progesterone supplemented in both of my following pregnancies. Now the miscarriage may have had nothing whatsoever to do with progesterone, but the fact that I had to be supplemented with each of the following I think says something.

And what do all of these things point to???

Hypothyroidism!

So why am I 29 and someone just now thought to test for this?

My TSH level came back at 5.636 just a little higher than their normal scale, but my doctor did a T3 and T4 test to get a more detailed reading so we'll see where we go from here.

I can't even tell you how happy it makes me to think that there hasn't just been something wrong me at the core of my being for most of my life. That there might actually be something that can make things easier!

Comments

Jenn said…
I'm pretty sure mine was tested last time I had a full physical, blood test, cholesterol, and all that jazz.

Good to know you can get it fixed if that's what's going on :)
MsSnarkyPants said…
Did you ask specifically to have it tested or did they say they were going to? Cause it's not something that they test for often. If you're not sure you can always call your doc's office and they can check their records for you. And we all know you have no phone anxiety. ;) hehehe
Well, better late than never???? I am so behind and so out of touch, I missed your moving party. Also happy anniversary. And sorry for being such a sucky freind lately.
MsSnarkyPants said…
Don't be silly you're not a sucky friend at all! You've just got lots of things on your mind!

Definitely better late than never. Now maybe I can finally make a little progress! And thanks we had a great anniversary. We took the wee ones to the safari park and I met a baby wolf and a white buffalo. :-D hehe

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Thirteen #10

Contest!

Thursday Thirteen #21